Simple Christmas cake Recipe
Christmas is celebrated on the 25th of December every year, all over the world. It celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ.
With Christmas, people start preparing to bring in the New Year – homes are beautified, Christmas trees are decorated and put up, gifts are bought for near and dear ones, English Christmas cake is baked while children make their wishes to Santa Claus, who is believed to come through the chimneys bearings bags full of gifts!
On the night before Christmas, people flock to the nearest church to attend Midnight Mass. Carols are sung in praise of Jesus Christ’s birth. Gifts are exchanged and families come together to enjoy Christmas dinner, English Christmas cake and have fun. Weeks in advance, households start making sweets and savories. Almost every home will either bake an English Christmas cake or buy one from the market.
New clothes are worn on Christmas day and the whole day is spent with a great deal of merry – making and joy.
Here I would love to share my delectable, best and simple Christmas cake recipe ever with you, which is attempted and relished many times.
You just have to follow these preparation steps and you can savor the English Christmas cake:
A. FOR THE PEELS
250 grams mixed peels (ginger, fruits, raisins, other dried fruits) – easily accessible in market.
Pre-soak the peels the prior night you need to bake the English Christmas cake.
Soak the mixed peels in squeezed orange juice (for at least 3 hours) and cover with a cloth (rum can likewise be used for an alternate flavor to douse the peels). Take off the extra juice or rum and coat it with flour before use to abstain from sinking.
B. FOR THE SPICES
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 pinch of powdered nutmeg
8 cardamoms (4 green and 4 black)
1 pinch of mace
1 tsp. lemon zest or rind (lemon essence can likewise be used)
Mix all the above spices and keep aside.
C. FOR THE CARAMEL
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. coffee powder
2 tbsp. coco powder
Beat coco powder and coffee powder with little warm water in a bowl. Now caramelize the sugar – melt and cook in a non-stick skillet till it gets brown. Turn off the gas and beat the coco coffee water with the caramelized sugar. Keep it aside to cool.
D. FOR THE BATTER
250 grams flour
250 grams salt less butter
250 grams sugar
250 grams eggs (big size 4 eggs)
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. orange essence
Sift flour and baking powder four times with a steel sieve.
Wow, all your preparations are over and now you should simply follow these steps to bake your English Christmas cake:
1. Pre-heat the oven at 180° C.
2. Cream sugar and butter until creamy texture with an electric hand whisk.
3. Separate egg white and egg yolk and beat the egg white separately.
4. Mix it with creamy texture arranged in step 2 and beat once more.
5. Add the egg yolks and beat again.
6. Mix in flavors arranged in (B.) and both essence.
7. Gradually add filtered flour and beat at low speed with an electric hand whisk.
8. Alternatively add caramel arranged in (C.) and crease in the pre-absorbed peels arranged in (A.). Continue beating at low speed.
9. Lastly beat it at full speed for two minutes.
10. Transfer the cake batter with a kitchen spoon into the greased and dusted tin. Spread out equally, tap the tin marginally to dodge the air bubble.
11. Sprinkle the blanched almonds over the surface during baking, if you would not prefer icing later.
12. Bake it at 160° C for 45 to 90 minutes. Cover it with foil paper following 30 minutes and bake it for an additional 20 minutes. Check by inserting a toothpick in the center, if it comes out clean it is baked.
13. Cool the cake in the tin, make few gaps with a skewer and brush more rum or orange juice to improve its flavor which will stimulate your taste buds. Later remove it to a wire rack for legitimate cooling.
14. Wrap it in twofold layered in cling film and again in twofold layered foil paper. Store in air tight container.
Amazing it is, it's an opportunity to inspire your family and friends by serving the simple Christmas cake recipe or gifting your rich and zesty tasty English Christmas cake amid the Christmas season. You can likewise do icing to beat all before serving and giving treat. Cake should be packed nicely remembering its freshness and enrichment.
Make the most of your English Christmas cake! Wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!