Narak Chaturdashi 2016
Narak Chaturdashi is popularly known as Roop Chaturdashi, Roop Chaudas and Chhoti Diwali. It is celebrated on the fourteenth day of Krishna Paksha in Karthik month. On this day, the demon Narkasur was killed by Lord Krishna, therefore it is named as Narak Chaturdashi.
Chaturdashi Tithi Begins – 18:20 on 28th October 2016
Chaturdashi Tithi Ends – 20:40 on 29th October 2016
Abhyang Snan (Morning Bath on Narak Chaturdashi) is on 29th October 2016 (Saturday)
Abhyang Snan Muhurat ~~ 05:09 – 06:34
Duration ~~ 1 Hour 24 Minutes
Diwali Festivity is for five days starting from Dhantrayodashi till Bhaiya Dooj day. Abhyang Snan can be done on three days, that is, on Narak Chaturdashi (Chhoti Diwali), Amavasya (Badi Diwali) and Pratipada days.
Abhyang Snan on Narak Chaturdashi Day has a great significance. Many people believe that, those who do Abhyang Snan on this auspicious day does not go to Narak (hell). As per Hindu religious texts, it is done during moonrise but before sunrise and during Chaturdashi Tithi.
Evening Puja Vidhi on Chhoti Diwali:
- Place a chowki covered with a red cloth and place Ganesh – Lakshmi picture on it.
- In front of the picture, keep some silver coins for puja and light a Deepak.
- Prepare separate thali for 5/11/21 deepaks (earthen lamps), depending upon person to person, filled with wicks dipped in sesame oil or mustard oil.
- Draw a Swastik with roli at the centre of thali and keep a big 4 faced earthen lamp (chaumukhi Deepak) surrounded by all others.
- Put some sugar (batashe), kheel (rice puffs) in all the lamps and sprinkle some water over all the lamps in a circle around the thali.
- Light the big Deepak first followed by all other lamps. Do diya pujan with roli chawal by applying tilak on Ganesh Lakshmi ji, silver coins and all the lamps. Offer flowers and sweets as a bhog.
- Put the 4 faced Deepak outside the main gate and keep rest all over in your house, keeping all the safety measures http://navratridiwalicelebration.com/22-safety-health-tips-celebrate-diwali/ in your mind.
- Many people also make rangoli at the entrance even on this day and decorate their houses.
Wish you and your family a very Happy and Prosperous Diwali 2016!!